Friday, May 9, 2014

What I learned about Second Life Photography Part 1 or..... What in the World are Windlight Settings

Part of my journey through my erotic adventures in Second Life has certainly been my growth as a photographer.  I want to start by clearly stating that I do not consider myself a great photographer, but I do think that I am an experienced beginner.  I thought that I might be able to share one of the tricks I have learned with other newbie photographers.
 
 
Lets look at where I started, to see why I think I have grown and have advice to share.  Below is one of my very first pictures...back from when I found that I was able to pose my avatar and take a snapshot.  I didn't know much about angles or backgrounds and  I knew very little about Windlight settings.  Its not a bad picture, but its nothing to get excited about either.  
 
One of my first pics taken on February 20, 2014
 
 
Now...lets look at some of my most recent pictures.  While I am not rating them as outstanding or exceptional, I do think that they represent considerable growth in my skills. 
 
They are from a set I did, called "Fairies Wear Boots".  If you are familiar with Black Sabbath, you will get the reference.  The link to the Flicker set is https://www.flickr.com/photos/vixeee/sets/72157644165260797/
 
Taken on May 8, 2014 
 

Taken on May 8, 2014 

Much better than my first pic, right? 

This brings up the original point that led me to post this - WINDLIGHT SETTINGS!  If you do not know about them or play with them, they will blow your mind (figuratively...not literally).  I kind of came across them by accident when someone mentioned that they use Nam's Optimal Skin 2 Windlight setting.  I incidentally use this now, for my everyday Windlight.  When I heard this random statement in chat, I got curious and Googled it.  I found Strawberry Singh's blog and the heavens opened and angels sang.   She provides downloads for her own Windlight settings as well as those created by some others.   She also explains how to add them to your computer and use them.  You can find her page, by clicking here http://strawberrysingh.com/tutorials/windlight-settings/.   I encourage every novice photographer to check out her page and use the downloads. 

So....if you want to take your photography to the next level, I recommend that you experiment with different Windlight settings.  You will greatly increase the variety of effects you can create and instantly become a better photographer.  I use Firestorm, and I change my Windlight setting by going to the World menu, then Environment Editor and Environment Settings

Here are two examples of using the same background, pose, and camera angle....the only difference is in the Windlight Settings.  Just by playing around with them, you can really change things up and add a lot to your pictures. 

Taken on May 8, 2014 

Taken on May 8, 2014 

I hope this was helpful to someone.   I certainly enjoyed this walk down memory lane to see how far I personally have come.

No comments:

Post a Comment